Thursday, April 14, 2011

3 Months!!!

Wow, I can't believe it has been three months since my surgery! I'm not gonna lie -- the first month dragged a little bit more than the past two. Since returning to work, time has just flown by!

I've had a few appointments with my orthodontist since my surgeon released me to finish up the fine tuning. I haven't seen my surgeon since March and won't see him again until June. My orthodontist said everything is looking really good. They're just having to use rubber bands to get everything set exactly where it needs to go. The first round of rubber bands went really well. How much longer I have my braces on will depend upon how long it takes my back right molars to touch. I mentioned earlier that they did the surgery a little different than originally planned. That resulted in a gap between my top and bottom molars on the right side. It freaked me out at first and I made the decision that I couldn't allow myself to obsess about it (or I'd drive myself crazy), which is why I didn't write about it. Eating salads is still impossible on that side because of it. But, I've decided to have faith and am hopeful it will get all resolved with a little more time in braces. Even though I am always ready for them to come off, I'm less anxious to get the braces removed ever since the surgery. I feel like they're a bit of a security blanket to make sure everything stays in place. I'm still nervous to bite down on anything hard, but am getting less freaked out day by day.

Aside from my fear of hard foods, most everything else is back to normal. I have feeling back almost everywhere and am back to talking everyone's ears off. My gums are still numb and there's still a little tingly part above my right upper lip. But, it's not anything that bothers me. I FINALLY got to start running again this week, which was a big milestone for me. It's how I release stress and it was hard not to be able to have that outlet (I'm fairly certain it was hard for those around me, too -- I can get a bit cranky without that release). My surgeon said I had to wait three months to start running again. Last Friday was 12 weeks; today is 3 calendar months. I had to work all weekend and needed a release so I split the difference and started back again on Tuesday. The hardest part was getting used to the breathing now that my jaw (and nose) are aligned differently. It's so crazy how this surgery impacts different things!

Anyhow, that's about it for now. I hope everyone is doing well. SO excited for everyone who is having their surgeries in May! It will fly by! Very happy for you!

1 comment:

  1. So glad everything is working out so well for you! Yeah! Thanks for keeping us posted on your progress! :-)

    ReplyDelete