Friday, July 16, 2010

(Almost) Two Months Down!

Tomorrow will mark two months since I got my braces. I decided when I first got them that I would try to celebrate each month as a little milestone that puts me one step closer to the end result. So, tomorrow the braces and I will go wine tasting with some of my closest friends. I'm normally a red wine girl, but I've found my braces (and particularly the clear rubber bands) prefer white. So, we'll check them both out. I have an adjustment next week, so at least I can change out the bands then . . . I've indulged in a little more red wine this month than they like so it's about time!

I've also made it almost all the way through my first trial with braces . . . well, actually, my first trial period. After five years of practicing law, I finally got one! I do wonder what the jury thought when I got up to question my first witness and displayed my bedazzled teeth. I like to think it endeared me (and my client) to them. I wonder if that would be an inappropriate thing to ask when polling them after trial?:)

I still struggle with the insecurities I mentioned in the last post. But, they tend to come and go in small spurts and most of the time I'm just happy and excited to finish the process. I feel incredibly lucky to have wonderful, supportive friends who remind me on a regular basis that braces really aren't that big of a deal (I mean, really, they're not . . . I just sometimes forget). I'm also overjoyed (and surprised) by how many adults I run into now with braces. It makes me realize there were probably just as many people wearing them before I got mine, but I didn't notice . . . which means people probably don't notice mine as much as I think. It's like that old saying about how you'd care less about what people think of you if you knew how little they did. When it comes to braces, I think that's really true. When this all began, it was primarily about getting rid of (or at least minimizing) my daily headaches and not having to buy stock in Excedrin. While I didn't like my bite/smile, I accepted that they were part of who I was. But, ever since I got the braces, I've become much more aware of my teeth, my bite and my smile, and I realize I am SO excited to fix them all! Seeing the progress of Makay and others is truly inspiring!

Anyhow, that's all I have for today. Just trying to post semi-regularly. Next adjustment is next week. I had to push it out and see a different orthodontist because my trial is going longer than expected and will conflict with my appointment. I'm a little bummed because I was hoping to ask more questions re: what my teeth are supposed to be doing and whether I'm on target for my surgery date. Hopefully I can still get some of those answers.

Oh, and almost forgot . . . another friend of mine got braces the week before I did. He's about my age, just a couple of years younger. Anyhow, I saw him last night and he told me one of his front brackets came off! It's still connected because it's on the arch wire, but it just slides around in front of the tooth. Crazy! I didn't even know that could happen!

3 comments:

  1. Aww. Thanks girl! :) I totally understand how braces just make you feel so insecure... it makes it "obvious". I feel you! I used to be just like that! But you will be so happy with the results. I mean it feels like just last week I was telling myself, "9 months left!!!" and now it has happened! :D

    Whoa. That is crazy. About the bracket. Didn't know it could either. But doesn't having someone close to your age going through the same thing bring you some sort of comfort? ha. I know it did me. :)

    If you ever have any questions feel free to ask because 1 week ago I was in your boat! Exactly... I mean I think our bites are soooooo close. So I understand. :)

    Love, Makay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shaye
    The good thing about wine is that after a couple of glasses all your insecurities will fall away! Enjoy you trip with your friends!!
    I can so relate to the awareness of my bite and teeth with my braces on...it seems as though thats all I think of now days.
    Regards,
    Brent

    ReplyDelete
  3. your blog is great! i am now a follower :)
    all of this inspiration from so many ortho blogs have made me create my own, please come visit!

    http://ibrace-face.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete