The first week of braces was horrible. I didn't want to smile (and I normally smile A LOT!) and felt like being anti-social (which I have never been). Even though I logically knew they were not, I felt like people were staring at my teeth and wondering what this 30-ish-year-old woman was doing wearing braces. Not only did I hate how the braces looked, but I feared the difficulty in talking clearly might not go away (it did . . . only lasted a week or so), which would be really difficult for my job.
Fortunately, I managed to push down my insecurities and have fun with friends, family, work, etc. I even went on a date just three days after getting the braces put on (I'm sure he was shocked considering we met days before I got them!). Getting out there right away and not letting my insecurities control my life, and having people in my life who really supported me and tried to convince me they weren't as noticeable as I thought, helped. I got over (for the most part) the fear of people staring at my teeth and my smile came out again. It lasted really well for about a month -- I had an amazing birthday and other fun nights/days out and almost forgot about the braces (the only exception really being when I tried to eat in public, but I learned how to manage that as best as possible). But, in the past few days, those insecurities have returned. The braces and I went out of town this weekend for some fun with friends for the 3-day holiday. Maybe it was the new environment, but I suddenly became very much aware that I was wearing braces and felt like the ugly duckling.
From reading other people's blogs, I know these ups and downs are normal. I also know (or at least hope) that I'll believe it's all worth it when the surgery is done, the braces are off, and I have the health smile and bite I want. I guess I just want that day to get here sooner rather than later. But, I guess that's normal.
Anyhow, I promised myself I'd try to post the good and the bad of this experience. This post encompasses a little bit of both. Reading everyone else's blogs helps . . . I hope mine does the same.
p.s. Good luck to Makay and others who are having surgery soon!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Oh, how I can relate to this! Just today, I was having a meeting with a new underwriter and thought back and forth about my appearence...but at the end of the day, I chose not to care what he thought (if he had any, because I am sure he did not even care). Keep your chin up, the outcome is the carrot at the end of the stick and will be SO worth it!
ReplyDeleteRegards
Brent
p.s. it is nice to read your blog being we are both close to the same stage of braces!
Brent -- I agree! It's oddly comforting to have someone else going through it at the same time. Can't wait to see how we progress . . . seeing Makay's post today is inspiring! -- Shaye
ReplyDeleteI did see her progress, and I like your statement...I can't wait to be were your are...
ReplyDeleteInclude me on that too! Although, I am amazed by her courage...I hope I show up the same way!
Brent
AWWWWW. You 2 are just the sweetest! Having followers like you and knowing I am helping means the world to me! thanks... :D
ReplyDeleteLOVE,
Makay