Monday, August 9, 2010

An Update-less Update

I don't have much to say, but felt like I should update because it's been awhile. I feel like right now is the slow post time, but I'll be making up for it with lots of posts after the surgery . . . which I hope comes soon!

The teeth/braces are still doing their thing. It's hard for me to tell how quickly they're moving. My biggest issue is that my top teeth point out kind of diagonally. So, I'm looking forward to seeing that get fixed and have the teeth point down. I'm not sure how much of that is done by braces and how much is done by the surgery. Anyone know?

I have some new pictures to post that show my bite a little better -- I just have to find my camera adapter. A very good friend of mine threw a 30th birthday party for her boyfriend on Saturday. It was, of course, lots of fun. But, one of the other interesting things was talking to her mom about braces. We've talked before about it, but this was the first time she saw me with them on. She had braces when she was around my age and is SO happy she did it. She didn't have to have surgery, but said it was the best gift she could give herself. AND, her teeth still look great, so that's comforting. Good teeth and fewer headaches would be awesome!

Not much else to report. My grandpa died last week, which was really sad. But, he was in his 90s and lived a long, happy, productive life with lots of love surrounding him. My grandma has great support in friends and family, so that's good, although I know she really misses him. I'm amazed they were still so in love after 60 years. I have a hard time committing to hair styles, so a committed relationship for that long -- and one that is happy -- is inspiring.

What else? I have my next adjustment in 2 weeks. Almost to the 3-month mark now. As much as I hate having the braces on, I'm also grateful that it's going by as quickly as it can and realize that (especially after this past week), when you put things in perspective, it's not that big of a deal. I continue to be impressed by the bloggers who just went through surgery. Keep up the good work -- you guys look/sound great and your positive attitudes are infectious!

Happy Monday!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Shaye!
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your Grandpa :( 90 is a lot of years to be living and happy, so what a great thing to be inspired by!
    My bottom teeth are currently doing some wierd shifting too, kind of point out in a way...I imagine that braces will pull them all together in the end. I get my next adjustment on Aug 25, I will be on the 4 month mark! Okay surgery buddy, find out what your eta to the surgery room is next appointment and I will too!
    Have a super fabulous week!
    Cheers,
    Brent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brent! It really is nice having a surgery buddy. This whole process is just so strange. I have an appointment on the 23rd (just after the 3-month mark) so we'll have to compare notes. Maybe we can get our orthodontists into a contest to see which one can get us into surgery first . . . put a little fire under them.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Shaye! Thanks again for your comment. :) As for your teeth pointing diagonally mine did that as well! When I was younger they used to tell me it was because I was a tongue thruster and that I needed to change the way I swallowed. Ridiculous right? What I later learned was that I had an open and overbite that could only be corrected by surgery, then everything else would fall into place, the way it was meant to. My surgeon moved my upper jaw up slightly to help put those front teeth back into my mouth, and post ortho work will straighten them out and do the rest! A lot of times your bite gets worse before the surgery, but that's only so it can be perfect after. Looking forward to reading about your progress!

    ReplyDelete