Thursday, July 22, 2010

Second Adjustment

First off, thanks to Makay and Brent for the words of encouragement (it means a lot!) . . . and condolences to Makay and her family for their loss.

We finally finished our trial yesterday (was supposed to be 5-7 days but went for 4 weeks!) and am very happy to say the jury ruled in our favor. Such a relief!

This morning, I had my second adjustment with the orthodontist. My orthodontist (Dr. D) shares his practice with another orthodontist (Dr. S). Because I had to push out my appointment due to trial, I ended up seeing Dr. S for the first time this morning. I had hoped to get an update on my progress and ask some questions at this appointment. I decided to ask Dr. S what he thought and he gave me some answers . . . let's hope Dr. D agrees.:)

My first concern was that I noticed a few days ago that the tooth to the left of my top front left tooth (I should really learn the names of these teeth) started moving behind my top front left tooth. That seemed weird -- shouldn't the movement go in the other direction? When I asked Dr. S, he said that can sometimes be a "side effect." Huh? Isn't the purpose of this process to make the teeth straight? He did clarify that sometimes things have to get worse before they get better, so I'm hoping that gets fixed soon. I also asked about the progress and whether he thinks I'll be able to keep my surgery date (late January 2011). He said it looks like things are progressing well (although he mentioned the bottom teeth are moving faster than the top teeth) and that I should have "no problem" making the January 2011 date. I SOOO hope that's true. After reading the blogs of so many other people whose surgery dates were moved, I'm worried. My surgeon books up at least 8 months in advance, so I want to know sooner rather than later if I need to move it. Out of curiosity, how many people actually had surgery on their original planned date?

Nothing else too exciting to report re: the braces. It's always nice to have new, clear bands on. Oh, I guess there is one thing . . . on Saturday night, I ran into someone I know as an acquaintance who I see about once every month or so. He came over and commented on my braces. Turns out, he has them, too! He had invisalign for two years but it didn't work so his orthodontist put regular braces on to get his teeth to where they want to be. He put them up really high on the teeth -- that, combined with the fact that he has more lip coverage than I do, made it so you can't even tell he has them! He's had them for over six months and I didn't even know it! He gets them off soon (didn't have to have surgery). Jealous!:)

3 comments:

  1. Awwww. Thanks girly! :)

    And yeah! I had a scare much like yours where I developed a gap in my bottom 2 middle teeth. It scared me! haha. My orthodontist gave me the same reply, and guess what?! It is practically disappeared now! :) Yay. So don't worry.

    And yeah! I was afraid my date would be changed too, but thankfully all went as planned! :) What a blessing. I pray yours is right on date as well! :)

    Trust me... all this crap you are going through, all these insecurities, it is all going to be COMPLETELY worth it after your surgery. Trust me on that. I am already (though I still have my downs and strifes) so very very happy with my results!

    I know just a much as you how terrible and awful you feel about your appearance. I mean over 1/2 the time I forgot I had anything wrong, but then I would look in the mirror or at a picture, and I would be faced with reality, but you know what? This is just the dark before the morning... "the pain that you been feeling can't compare to the joy that's coming, so just wait for the light press on and fight the good fight" :)

    Feel free to drop me a line anytime if you need to just complain, or wanna ask some questions. I just was on the same boat. :)

    Love, Makay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shaye!
    Hope all is well today! I think my surgery will be somtime in January or February...we should do it on the same day!! Wierd, but surgery buddies would be kind of funny (in a really wierd way)
    Also, congrats on your trial! What kind of practice are you in?
    Regards,
    Brent

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! Makay, I know I'll have lots of questions for you! Brent, I think it would be great to be surgery buddies! Let's hope we get to keep our dates!!! So sorry about your insurance troubles ... but I do believe it will work out in the end. It has to, right? We've made it this far!

    P.s. Thanks for the congrats! I practice employment law. I love it but am nervous about teaching my employment law class this fall with braces.:)

    ReplyDelete